Saturday, December 13, 2008

My hands are full

So I have been really excited and a little nervous about bringing our baby home. He is 6 months old, so he is probably starting to move around on his on. He will soon be trying to walk and crawl. We have never experienced this before, so I don't know what things in my house will have to change. (Plenty, I'm sure!)

Something happened yesterday that proved to me that my hands are going to be full. We have had our Yorkie, Belle, since 2002. She is a great dog and has good manners. Occasionally she has an accident in the house, but otherwise we have no complaints. Bryan has started sneaking her food occasionally. I am not happy about this because I don't want her begging for food and I don't want to have to clean up the mess when her stomach gets upset. I guess she has learned the smells of the things she likes.

A day or two ago Bryan ate chicken wings and put the bones in the trash. I was in the nursery working on somethings yesterday and heard something cracking. It sounded like teeth breaking. Bryan was asleep on the couch, so I began looking for the dog. I found her under the kitchen table eating one of Bryan's chicken bones. She had gotten the bone out of the trash and was living it up. I got her away from the bone and picked it up with a paper towel and threw it away. She kept migrating back to the trash and sniffing the bag (the bag was sitting in the floor).

We kept fussing at her to get her away from the trash and I gave her a treat thinking it would distract her. Boy was I wrong! When we left for the ball game we put her in her kennel and when we returned we let her out and started getting ready for bed. I came into the living room and saw Belle walking away from the trash can with the paper towel and chicken bone hanging out of her mouth. I took it away from her and put the trash bag where she couldn't get to it.

I will give her credit for being neat about it. She did not pull out a single other thing. Had she had enough time to eat the whole bone, we would have never known she had been in the trash. Thanks for using your manners Belle! Unfortunately, I think this is a small sign of the craziness to come.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I guess the good thing with put locks/gates, etc. up to childproof you will be dog proofing at the same time :). Our little boy is 7 months old, and it is such the wonder of adoption that your little boy will be so close in age! This is my absolute favorite time in babyhood though, so much personality and so many new skills.