Tuesday, November 25, 2008

An Unsafe Journey

I recently purchased a devotional book from Show Hope. The book is called Seeds of Change. Sunday night I started reading the book and a few things have stood out to me. Steven Curtis Chapman wrote the first entry. In it, he talks about how God is inviting us to join Him in caring for orphans. We know that God is going to care for them whether we take part or not. Just like anything in our lives, He is always in control and His plan will always come to fruition. We can get on board and be a part of the blessing or idly stand by and miss what He has in store for us.

SCC says that God was saying to him, "I'm going to provide for these children, but I want to invite you to be a part of that. I'm going to glorify Myself through this." He goes on to say, "There is nothing safe about God's invitation. All adventures carry with them some level of excitement and hazard, and we cannot remain safe and comfortable and still go on a God-sized adventure. But God doesn't call us to be safe, He calls us to be bold and courageous, and we can trust that even our safety will be taken care of by the One who invites us to to bravely step out in faith. As C.S. Lewis says in the Chronicles of Narnia when speaking of Aslan, 'Of course He isn't safe, but He is good.'"

This journey isn't easy and sometimes it doesn't feel safe. My friend Brooke would probably be the first to testify to that. The financial risks that they have taken to add Dillen to their family certainly have not felt safe or probably smart. For us it has felt unsafe in that some of my family has not given us the reaction that we expected. They made it pretty clear that they didn't support our decision and that our child would not really be a part of the family. That broke my heart and made me angry! It doesn't seem safe to completely change our lives and routines by going from two adults to caring for two adults and a small child. It is scary to think how our marriage may change. Though it doesn't seem safe, I can't help but think that nothing worth having has ever been easy.

Here's to be unsafe!

1 comment:

KTilley said...

You are such an amazing woman! I'm so glad that you were one of the people who helped to lay my foundation in Christ! I love your passion, conviction, and everything about you! I support you 100% and love you bunches! I'm praying for you!