Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Open the Eyes of My Heart

As I have continued reading Seeds of Change another story stood out to me that I want to share. Steven Curtis Chapman shares that while worshiping in China he was singing the song Open the Eyes of My Heart. As he sang the words, "open the eyes of my heart Lord... I want to see you" he was also praying those very words. God spoke to Him and said, "Open your eyes, I am right in front of you." When he opened his eyes he saw that an orphan girl had crawled into his guitar case and was staring up at him.





You couldn't ask for a more real picture of Christ. He tells us over and over again that His heart is for the poor, needy, and orphaned.





This story reminded me of a scripture that I came across this weekend. Job 42:5 says, "My ears had heard of you before, but now my eyes have seen you." I agree with John Piper's statement, "Adoption is the visible gospel." This scripture proves that. Not only do we see Christ in these orphans, these orphans see Christ in us when we follow His command to care for them. This beautiful cycle is truly the gospel in action!

No comments: