Thursday, November 27, 2008

Hidden Treasures

Adoption is a calling. Orphan care is a command. The Lord tells us in several scriptures that caring for orphans is the responsibility of Christians. There are a lot of ways to care for orphans, adoption is not the only way. Everyone can support orphans, but not everyone can adopt. As I continue reading Seeds of Change, some scriptures have taken on a new meaning to me.



Isaiah 45:3 And I will give you treasures hidden in the darkness-secret riches. I will do this so you may know that I am the Lord, the God of Israel, the one who calls you by name.



He calls us all by name, even orphans. He calls us by name when He calls us to Himself. He calls us by name when He calls us to care for orphans. He called Bryan and I by name and when He called us to join Him in the miracle of adoption. One evening in my car at a red light beside Concord Baptist Church, He clearly spoke to me and called me into this journey. It was a few years later, but sitting in a chair at Marathon, He clearly spoke to Bryan and he joined me on this journey.



Luke 12:48 From everyone who has been given much, much will be demanded. And from the one trusted with much, much more will be expected.



He has given us so much, but as the scripture says, much has been demanded of us. At this point in our journey, we have had lengthy paperwork, inspections, and interviews demanded of us. We have also had patience demanded of us. It has been demanded that I give up control and take a back seat to God. God has trusted us to join Him on this journey and to follow His leading along the way. We know that this is just the beginning of the expectations and demands. It is also the beginning of the gifts.



We know that He is with us on this journey and we have many hidden treasures yet to come. I am most looking forward to the day I hold my hidden treasure in my arms!

No comments: