Thursday, November 27, 2008

I'm Rich!

No, I didn't win the lottery, I didn't receive an inheritance, and I didn't finally land that awesome movie role. So how did I become rich? The truth is I always have been. Our pastor, Eddie Cox, has been doing a series called How To Be Rich. Once you put things in the right perspective, you realize that we are all rich. Eddie said several times that rich people go out places to eat. They look at a list of choices and tell someone else what to cook for them. When the food is cooked, someone else serves it to them. Honestly, how many times this week or month have you eaten out? That is just one mark of wealth.

We are rich in so many other ways too. Today, as I sat around observing my family, I saw many more riches. The house, the food, the warmth, our nice clothes, our gadgets, our love, and most importantly, our memories. Looking at my cousin Dustin and his bushy red beard reminded me of all the times that he reassured me that there was a guy out there for me. There was no need to lower my standards. I thought of the major spanking (this probably qualified as a whooping) that I got for biting him. This was one of the many valuable lessons he helped me learn about dealing with people that frustrate or aggravate you.

I sat by my cousin Brant at the counter and thought of all the times he has been a shoulder to lean on and a hand to hold. Especially the day we sat in the funeral home making the arrangements for my Granddaddy's funeral. It goes without saying that I will never forget all the pushing to meet his youth pastor who happens to now be my husband. Probably the most special memory is walking down the aisle at my wedding and seeing him standing there at the altar when he was supposed to be in Cape Cod.

Where do I start with my Grandma? There are not many memories that she is not a part of. She is an incredible woman and has done so much for me. I love her more than I could ever explain and I will never be able to thank her enough.

It was such a blessing to walk into my aunt and uncle's house and see how wonderful he looks. He has been struggling with pancreatic cancer for couple of years. To think of all the pop tarts they fed me as a kid, all the Easter eggs I died at their house, the emergency room visits, and all the seventeen magazines read is a little overwhelming.

I will sum it up in saying that I am blessed! Many would look at my life and my family situation and wonder how I feel blessed. God has been so good to me. Though my parents are not a part of my life (and haven't been for most of my life), I have the best family ever. They love me and have made every effort to give me the things that I need and show me how to love. They have been Jesus to me. I am much more than blessed, I am RICH!!!

No comments: