Saturday, August 23, 2008

BabyLand

Memphis holds a special place in my heart, it has become like a second home to Bryan and I. We love Brinkley Heights Church and the community that they serve. I will be honest though, the heat of a Memphis summer has to be a reminder of what eternity could be like for some! (It is HOT!!!) Earlier this week I got to watch a 20/20 special and they showed previews of the Friday night show. The clips showed the neighborhoods that we have come to love and I was hooked. So last night, Bryan and I watched Babyland. There are a lot of things that Memphis is known for, some good and some bad. Gangs and crime, poverty and drugs, music and ribs, and infant mortality?

I had no idea that Memphis has the highest infant mortality rate in the country. It makes sense though. Most girls do not receive prenatal care and therefore do not carry their babies to term. Watching men from the health department line up tiny wood boxes and burying this precious child in unmarked graves broke my heart. I would highly encourage you to go to the 20/20 website watch for yourself.

A professional woman that was interviewed was asked why the community doesn't step in a help. Her response basically came down to the fact that the middle class (and wealthier) don't want to deal with these people because of the color of their skin and they blame them for their condition. I have encountered this myself in showing people some of the communities in inner city Memphis. I also hear this about people hear in my own community. This infuriates me and the woman being interviewed hit the nail on the head.

The lady explained that there is a shortage of jobs (6000 applicants for every 1000 jobs) and a lack of transportation. One particular girl had to walk 5 blocks to a bus stop and change buses 2 times to make it to a minimum wage job. She was probably spending half of her weeks pay on bus fare. Many areas of these neighborhoods don't have bus stops. Probably because it is too dangerous to send them there. Even those that have jobs often can't afford housing and electricity. One sub standard trailer park charges $900 a month rent. We are talking pull along trailers not nice double wides. Many of these don't have power. That is considerably more than my mortgage.

For those of you who are not necessarily lovers of the people of Memphis like I am, what does this mean to you? Before you pass judgment on those who live on the "over side of the tracks", make sure you take the time to understand where they come from. Before you write them off, consider how you can give them a chance to succeed and excel. I can assure you that 85% of them would gladly change their circumstances if given have a chance. Just like you and I they have simply learned what they live and become victims of circumstance.

Consider inner-city missions, consider putting yourself in their position and loving them where they are. You just might change a life, probably your own!

No comments: