Thursday, September 18, 2008

Only 6 more days

6 more days until the big 3-0. In a way I am dreading that day. Why? Well, if you really must know, I guess I will share.

Anyone who knows me very well, knows that I am a planner. I like to have things in order, be in control, and know what is supposed to happen ahead of time. I like for things to be organized. With this in mind, I had a plan for my life. My plan was to finish college get married immediately. Have all three or four of my children by the age of 30 and be done with child birth. Well, somehow I don't think that I will be giving birth to even one in the next 6 days.

On top of being a planner, I am very competitive and not always a good sport. This makes me feel like somewhat of a failure since I have not achieved my goals. There are several more goals that I had in mind, that I have not reached yet either. More than a lesson in good sportsmanship, I think that this is a lesson that God's plans are not always the same as mine. Of course, His plans are better and I need to step out of the way and let them happen.

God seems to show me this over and over again. It seems that I would learn from this at some point. This also is a way that God shows me that He has a sense of humor. For instance... there was a guy that I dated for several years that I was convinced that I would marry. I just knew that this was God's plan and for a period of time, I think he did too. In my high school scrapbook there is a section about the future. Where it asks where you'll be in ten years, everything had to do with being married to Bryan and working in ministry together.

Well, guess who attended my 10 year reunion with me? My husband, Bryan! The funny part is, it's not the same Bryan as in the scrapbook. Most of the things in that plan have happened, but not the way I expected or wanted them to at that time.

All I can say is, THANK YOU GOD! Thank you that You know more than I do and Your plan is better than mine. I couldn't ask for anything better.

Maybe I am not such a failure after all. Who knows, there are still 6 days left. God just might surprise me.

No comments: