Friday, September 26, 2008

Lessons from my 30th birthday

Wednesday was my dreaded 30th birthday. It came and went without much fanfare. (That was nice!) My aunt treated me to lunch and I enjoyed my left over birthday cake as an afternoon snack. I must give props to Bryan for the AWESOME strawberry cake with cream cheese icing! He got it at The Sweetery and it is my all time favorite. I literally could have eaten the whole half sheet cake my self. Sadly, I finished off the leftovers yesterday.

This week I went back to Calhoun where I am teaching drama for a few weeks. My 1st grade class on Wednesday was a little rowdy, so I decided to share my secret. I told them that it was my birthday and that the best gift ever would be if no one got in trouble. It would hurt my feelings so bad if I had to give out tallies on my birthday. Amazingly, it worked. The children seemed to settle down a little. Of course, this was followed by 17 children begging me to tell them my age. That would have to wait until the end of class as a reward.

Now, you all know that I have been dreading this birthday... at the end of class Natahan came and tugged at my jacket and said, "Ms. Holder, are you 40?" Are you kidding me, 40! Thank goodness he is cute, sweet, and only 6 or I may have flipped out. I told him no and he later asked if I was 30. Another child asked if I was 19. I am so glad that children really don't have any sense of age. Otherwise, this could have been devastating.

I must say that I could do without my gifts from Mother Nature. She decided to give me new hair for my birthday. Over the last few months my hair has quickly begun turning gray and in the last two weeks the texture of my hair has begun to change (not for the better). My curls are changing and I cannot control my hair. It looks terrible if I don't blow it out or put the flat iron in it. On top of all of that, I now have acne. Really, at this age! Thanks! I appreciate the thought, but you really didn't have too.

Oh well, it could be much worse. As cruel as aging seems, it is a blessing to have another day. As crummy as hormone changes are, I am healthy and happy. I can't help but think of my Uncle Bill as I talk about this. His birthday is the day before mine and he hit a milestone also, 50! This birthday was special for him. He has been suffering from colon cancer. This birthday represented much more than 50 years of life. It represented God's faithfulness. My Uncle has put this in the Lord's hands since day one and God has not let him down.

As I sit and complain about my gray and wiry hair, he arrived at my surprise party with no hair. His last round of Chemo caused the loss of all of his hair. Was he concerned...No! He is simply glad to be alive and we are glad to be able to celebrate with him.

Maybe crazy gray hair and acne aren't so bad after all!

No comments: