Monday, September 22, 2008

2 days left....

Those of you who have joined me in counting down to my 30th birthday are well aware that there are only 2 more days. 2 more days unitl the end of childhood as I know it. I will be a for real adult, no more twenty something. With that in mind, I have to share my weekend with you.

I must give props to Bryan. As clueless as I often think he is about gift giving and surprises, he proved me wrong this weekend. A couple of weeks ago, he told me that we would be having an ABS (Area Bible Study) cookout on Saturday night at the DeRoberts house. This did not surprise me since we rarely have a weekend in the fall that doesn't involve a student ministry event. Personal activities typically take a back seat to such things. I got Lee dressed and we loaded up the car to go to Mr. David's house.

I was expecting to hang around for a while, maybe hear a little discussion about the changes being made this year, and possibly have a birthday cake for desert. We drove up in the drive way and David and Chris were manning the grill (typical MSM stuff) and directing folks where to park. Also in typical fashion we were about 5 minutes late. David sends us in the house to help the women. I open the door and there stood most of my family and many of my friends. (Lee freaked out!) It was really exciting because no one has ever done that for me before.

Bryan did a great job and I must give him credit for working hard and thinking of me. The thing that surprises me most is that he didn't even give me a hint. He hates surprises and can't keep a secret from me. Good for you Bub! You did a great job.

It was a lot of fun and we finally got to introduce Melissa and Sammy, our best friends, to our family. They always hear us talk about them but had never had the privilege of meeting them. I was glad to hang out with the Cantrell's and the Benfield's also. We used to hang out all the time, but it has been a while, so that was a nice change.

I can't finish without thanking Emily and Kathy for helping Bryan pull it off. Thanks guys! I love you all and appreciate you making 30 special.

No comments: