Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Rule makers=Rule breakers

So today was election day. As a good citizen, I did my duty and went out to vote. Anyone that knows me very well knows that I am a black and white person. There is not a lot of gray with me, I am by the book. I firmly believe that rules were made for a reason, and it is in our best interest to abide by them. This factors in to my choice of political candidates.

Though I will not share my political choices, I will say that my husband and I didn't agree on many choices in this election. When I arrived at the poling location, there were 4 or 5 people standing outside the door. It appeared that they were catching up on the latest community news. As I approached the door, an older man grabbed the door and reached out to shake my hand. He introduced himself and said that he would appreciate my vote.

This totally rubbed me the wrong way (especially since I had intended to vote for this man)! If I am not mistaken, this is totally illegal. No one inside seemed to mind that this law maker was now the law breaker. To me this said a lot about this candidate's integrity. How can I trust this man to represent me and up hold the law, when he blatantly disregarded the law himself. I had to seriously consider if I still wanted to vote for this man.

Why can't people just follow the rules?

No comments: