Tuesday, June 10, 2008

I love my dog!

My sweet dog, Belle, is a big part of our family. She is part of the family. Many of our friends have pets that are also part of the family. It breaks my heart to think of anything ever happening to Belle. This is a big reason why it brothered me so badly when I learned about what actually happens to helpless animals.

About two years ago, I picked up a magazine and found an article that described what happens to lab animals. Since then, I have become much more aware of animal rights. I have done a lot of research about these practices and made an effort to not support companies that promote animal testing.

I don't claim to be a card carrying member of PETA by any means, but I am appalled by these practices. Don't worry, I am not going to be climbing into a dog kennel and holding signs to protest. (Yes, I have actually seen this in downtown Cincinnati.) I do want to make others aware of the cruelty that goes on. If you are not familiar with how animal testing works, you can see several videos on the PETA website, as well as other sites. Here is a link to one of the videos www.stopanimaltests.com/feat/testing123/index.asp

It is not easy to avoid animal tested products, unfortunately. You have to do a little research and be willing at times to pay a little more. When you consider your family pet, it is worth it! The website http://www.caringconsumer.com/ has a lot of great information and has lists of companies that do not use animal testing. I have found that Whole Foods is a safe bet for health and cleaning products that are safe. Also, the St. Ives brand of beauty aids and Every Man Jack brand are safe (available at Target, Walmart, Walgreens, Etc.).

I am not going to hunt you down, picket in front of your house, or inspect your products, but I would encourage you to educate yourself about this issue. Besides, most cruelty free products are made of all natural elements and are safer anyway.

No comments: