Thursday, April 10, 2008

Blogging, kids, & idols

Nearly 7 years ago I married my best friend. When we met in 1998, I was volunteering in the hospitality ministry at my church (Downtown Community Fellowship). That summer (1999) I took my first paid ministry position. Bryan had done the same thing three years later. Bryan has served in paid youth positions ever since. In that time so many things have happened in our ministries. Many incredible things and many incredibly difficult & frustrating things. It has been my prayer to have some sort of support system.

As staff member, or spouse of a staff member, there are a lot of things that you know that you can't share. There are so many times that you need to talk about or process something, but you can't because all the people around you are church members. I have longed for some sort of support system; for someone who can understand and help me through these things. Unfortunately, to this point I have had no luck with that. Yesterday, I found a new blog that may be just the thing that I have been looking for. Married To A Youth Pastor is worth checking out if you ever feel like you live a life that no one could possibly understand.

On another note, yesterday and today I helped with the rehearsal for the spring recital at Calhoun. I love it there! The kids are so incredible. It is always a fun day when I get to spend time with them and today was no exception. I spent lunch with 4th grade, more specifically I was with my twin cousins, Catherine & Caroline. Catherine is a little camera shy, but Caroline is always up for some self portrait fun. I also spent some time with my favorite kindergartner who you may remember from a previous blog about foster kids.

Yet, one more unrelated and random note... I have mixed emotions about American Idol. I am hit and miss on watching it usually, but this season I am pretty interested in it. (I thought it was cool that they did Shout to the Lord.) My picks are David Archuleta, Brooke White, and Jason Castro. It was sad for me when Chikezie went home. Bryan had heard a rumor that Jason Castro was a worship leader, so of course, I went on the research path. It is my conclusion that this myth is busted! According to one source, Castro had only sang publicly 5 times prior to Idol. While researching, I decided to check out my other picks as well. Brooke and David are both Mormon. Though I don't agree with their doctrines, I am pleased to know that we don't have to worry about them being poor role models.

Ok, so that is my randomness today. I have some other things to share, but I will share those serious things later in the week when I have more time to focus.

No comments: