Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Perfection and Frustration: Doggone Blue Tape

People that know me, know that I am a bit of a perfectionist. This can pose a problem at my house sometimes, because Bryan and I do not share that quality. It drives me crazy to start a project and not complete it from start to finish. The bad thing is, I am a PERFECTIONIST. I want to see the project through and see it done correctly, but I don't always have the ability to do that. For instance:

Several months ago someone offered to paint our nursery for us. Bryan doesn't like to paint and I am no good at it, so we jumped at this offer. She worked for a few days and did a great job. The walls looked great. We then laid the new bamboo floor and had to purchase new closet doors. The wonderful volunteer came back and taped the closet door. She said that she would come back to finish it later. Well, I think she forgot. We greatly appreciate her help, so I didn't want to bug her about coming back. I have also been waiting for several months for a closet rod to be installed in the closet.

I decided that I had waited long enough and wanted to tackle the project this weekend. I am a terrible painter, so I avoid these projects. I always end up angry and more frustrated in the end because it didn't turn out the way it was supposed to. After I attempted to paint the doors with a paint brush, Bryan and I made our way to Lowe's. We got a small roller and closet rods. We came back and I jumped on it. I added another coat on Saturday morning and again Sunday night. Yesterday I painted the insets on the door and was sure they looked great.

Last night I took Bryan in to show him my work. I started pulling off a section of tape. (Let me preface this by saying that I used blue tape and green tape.) The first section was blue and the door was white under it, because it pulled the brown paint off! As we continued to pull, all of the blue tape pulled paint off. (The green tape did not.) The door looks terrible!!! I am so upset. My sweet husband said that he will fix it for me. He says that he can touch it up and it will look fine.

I guess this is one more strike against me painting. One more and I am out. If only that blue tape weren't so bad. Doggone blue tape!

No comments: