Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Memphis here we come

Last month we made the trip back to Memphis to prepare for our upcoming mission trip. Yet again, God used Brinkley Heights and its people to show me some important things. It is truly amazing what they are doing in that community. They are in the most literal sense the hands and feet of Jesus.

As we toured the neighborhoods surrounding the church, God began to speak to me about my life. He made it very clear to me that your mission field is where you make it. I have always believed that you can share the gospel in your everyday life right where you are, but this was different. All of the sudden I felt like this was truly my purpose. The idea of missions hit me in a way like never before. For the first time in my life, I really felt like missions was part of my purpose. I felt God telling me that it is time to step up and be intentional about missions.

In his usual style, God took me out of that situation and brought this up again in a completely different setting. (I guess I must be hard headed, because He always shows me things in multiple ways that don't seem logically tied together before I really clue in.) On the way out of Memphis we decided to spend the night in Nashville and visit a friend, Sara. (Sara is an incredible young woman that we met through Taylor.) Sara invited us to attend a Sunday service at Fellowship Church in Brentwood. The Sunday before, the church had not met and instead had their small groups go out in the community and serve. The pastor spoke briefly about serving and allowed the congregation to share their experiences. God almost seemed to be smacking me over the head saying, "See you can do this anywhere. This is what I have called you to."

I have always been afraid of the call to missions, because I thought that meant the jungles of some far away country. God has made it very clear to me that their are plenty of mission opportunities right hear at home. Please pray for me as I muddle through this and pin point exactly where God wants me to go with this.

No comments: