Saturday, July 26, 2008

What I'm Reading in July

This month I have been able to read two books. I enjoy reading and this is the most I've been able to read in a long time. I must say that I made some good choices. Here is my take on my selections.

Before You Were Mine

If you are adopting, no matter what point in the process, you need this book. The staff at DSS told everyone in our adoption class that we need to make a life book for our children. This is different than a baby book, because there are so many unknowns and unseens when you adopt. I had already begun to make our Little Buddy's life book, but was unsure of some things that should be included. This book gives you a step by step guide to making a Life Book. Often with adopted children, their birth stories my be difficult to discuss or the story may have many holes in it. You may be unsure how to tell their story. Instead of giving up and leaving it out, the authors (an adoptee and an adoptive mom) walk you through the hurdles. There are questionnaires to help spark your thoughts and get you moving in the right direction. They help you see how to tell your child's story, even the parts you don't know. They also help you to understand the importance that the Life Book plays in your child's identity. What I liked most is that it is written from a Christian perspective. The ladies show you how to let your child see God's hand through their whole life, even before you. I'm definitely passing this one on!

Scars that Wound; Scars that Heal

WOW! I couldn't put this book down, I read more than half of it yesterday morning. Author Jan Kern, runs a rehabilitative ranch in California. They work with teens and young adults that struggle with self injury, eating disorders, drugs, alcohol, etc. This book is about self-injury. About 4 or 5 years ago, Bryan and I were exposed to self-injury for the first time. We were desperate to help a young lady in our youth group, but we had no idea how. This was the most difficult thing that I have ever faced in ministry. I was so broken and desperate and could not seem to get help anywhere. It seemed no one knew how to help her or tell us how to help her. Just thinking about it still brings me to tears and breaks my heart.

Since that time, this issue has come up several more times (1 time is far too many!). I have wanted so desperately to know how to help. This book is a God send!! Kern takes a young girl named Jackie and takes you through her journey. (Jackie's story was almost identical to our young friend, which made it a tough read.) The chapters are broken into three parts. The first part tells Jackie's story. The second part is Jackie, her family, counselors, and friends looking back on her story and explaining how she worked through those parts. The final part is Kern talking to other young people dealing with these issues. Throughout the book, Kern includes boxes that let you know how to help someone in this situation. She also includes MANY scripture to point the self-injurer back to Christ and His healing and forgiveness. At the end of each chapter she includes questions to help the self-injurer to think through and process what may have brought them to this place and how they can break these chains. She also includes a writing prompt.

This book is incredible! Every student ministry needs 10 copies. Youth pastors and youth workers need to read this. You need copies to hand to every kid that struggles with this. We all need to understand that this problem is much deeper than simply wanting attention. Like Jackie, many of these kids are dealing with much deeper issues (molestation, abuse, etc.). These students, do need professional help, but this book will point you in the right direction and give you a better understanding of where this behavior comes from. It will also help you understand how to best love and support these hurting students. I will warn you, it is emotionally hard to read, but a MUST!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have that book too, Before you were mine, haven't read it yet though, glad to hear it's good. I just finished this week Building the Bonds of Attachment, Awakening Love in the Deeply Troubled Child. One of the most powerful, amazing, and well written books. It is a clinical manual of sorts, but written as a fiction novel which makes it very readable and your really feel deep in your gut what many kids in foster care have and are going through. I'm also reading this week, Love and Logic as suggestion be several adoption forums, maybe one of the best over all parenting books I've read!

Kelly said...

Hi. My name is Kelly. I work at Standard Publishing, where Scars That Wound: Scars That Heal was published. I work in the teen book department, but I was not an editor on that particular book. I kept hearing so much about it from my coworkers who edited the piece and worked with Jan, but it wasn't until yesterday that I took a break from my own work projects and got to read it cover to cover. I went through it in about an hour! I was like you -- unable to put it down. Those of us who work on teen books for Standard love running into blogs like yours -- so glad that we can find ways to assist people in ministry to youth. Thanks for all you do for God's kingdom.

Anonymous said...

Neither is a Christian book, but I would guess by some of the things written and perspectives that the authors are Christians themselves. I think you would have a hard time finding them at a Christian book store, but I know what you mean, those pastors discounts are great!! I like to buy books used on Amazon and they are really easy to resale on Amazon too. You could also try the library.

Kristin said...

A company I work with, Abunga.com – a family friendly bookstore – is having an online chat with Jan Kern, author of "Scars That Wound, Scars That Heal–A Journey Out of Self-Injury."

Jan is going to be chatting online at Abunga.com/AuthorsAtAbunga on Wednesday, Sept. 10 at 2 p.m. EDT to discuss the issues she addresses in her books.

Kristin said...

I'm Kristin, and I work with Abunga.com – a family friendly bookstore. Jan Kern is doing an online chat next week at Abunga.com/AuthorsAtAbunga on Sept. 10 at 2 p.m. EDT. She will be talking about her books, including "Scars That Wound, Scars That Heal." Thought you might be interested in joining since you've read the book!

Kristin said...

I'm Kristin and I work with Abunga.com – a family friendly bookstore. Jan Kern is doing an online chat next week at Abunga.com/AuthorsAtAbunga on Sept. 10 at 2 p.m. EDT. She will be talking about her books, including "Scars That Wound, Scars That Heal." Thought you might be interested in joining since you've read the book!