Sunday, January 21, 2007

In Laws, Continental Breakfast, Flat Tires, and Cheap Chickens


Bryan and I have just returned from Missouri. This was our first trip to Missouri and one that was unforgettable to say the least. I should start out by saying that the point of the trip was to be a part of my nephew Jeremy's graduation from Army boot camp. We are extremely proud of him. He worked really hard and not only finished, but he was the honor graduate for his battalion. There is a picture of him with Bryan and I. It would be safe to say that was the only uneventful event of the trip.
I'll start at the beginning. Bryan and I were traveling with his parents. (Those of you who know Bryan's parents are probably already laughing, because can imagine what may come next.) I will spare you some of the details and get right to the good stuff. We flew from Greenville to Cincinnati and Cincinnati to St. Louis. After arriving in St. Louis we took a shuttle to the rental car facility. Our mode of transportation for the week was a very nice mini van. Though I am not usually a fan of mini vans, this one was top of the line. Navigation system, DVD player, and heated seats, etc. While waiting for the car to be ready, we watched a light snow fall. It was SNOWING!!!! Keep this in mind, it will be important later.
On the way out of Saint Louis Bryan found a Cracker Barrell and we stopped for dinner. This a very normal and very, actually ridiculously, common thing for Bryan and I. (Just ask the Powdersville CB wait staff. They say we come every weekend.) My in-laws go quite often as well, but the waitress had to think they had never been there or anywhere for that matter. My father in law chose not to wear his false teeth into the restaurant (or anywhere else for the week). He mumbles a bit anyway, but the lack of teeth make him even harder to understand. My mother-in-law decided that she had never seen a Cracker Barrell menu before. After 39 minutes and much deliberation, my father in law said, "this is the same menu as every other Cracker Barrell you have been in! Just make up your mind." The poor waitress... a bunch of southerners in the Mid-west. She probably couldn't understand a word any of us said, especially with no teeth. We had to seem like the biggest rednecks. The waitress finally quite talking to my in laws and addressed all questions and comments to me and even handed me the bill.
Before leaving CB, I asked an employee where the closest Walgreens was, she quickly stated, "the corner of Bowles and 141." Ok, thanks...Like I know where that is! Help me out sister. I must have looked quite puzzled, as she looks at me and says, "are you from here?" Sure, I am... I am the only mid western girl who sounds like she just stepped off the set of Designing Women. I never expected that reaction. Actually, I was kind of flattered. People usually talk about how cute my accent is when I travel. I have never been mistaken for a local anywhere outside of upstate SC.
Well, back to the snow. When we arrived at Walgreens I had to look. I just had to know. Yes, they had bread and milk. Plenty of bread and milk. WHAT... snow on the ground and plenty of bread and milk. I couldn't believe it. On top of that, people where driving like normal humans. No crazy, I've never seen snow before in my life, people driving the roads of St. Louis. Well, that is just the beginning. Stay tuned for more stories from the road tomorrow.

No comments: